The Backyard Cook-off is an opportunity for backyard bar-b-q chefs to fire up their grills and smokers to compete among the best in the region for the coveted grill master title and cash prizes.
Awards are given for the best preparation of beef, chicken and pork, plus an overall Backyard Cook Grand Champion is selected.
Please view our Galleries tab to view competitors competing for the Grand Champion Backyard Cook Title!
The 2020 Backyard Cookoff Information Package includes the invitation letter, registration form and rules.
Cooking begins Saturday, May 9th at 7 am
Judging at 2 pm
Winners are announced at 5:30 pm on the Festival Plaza Stage
2nd and Locust Streets
Deadline: May 1, 2020
Payment may be made by cashier’s check, personal check or money order payable to International Bar-B-Q Festival. No cash please.
Overall Champion: $1500 plus trophy and waiver of 2021 entry fee!
Category winners (beef, chicken, pork)
- 1st Place: $500
- 2nd Place: $300
- 3rd Place: $200
- Best Booth: $200
Each winner receives a trophy to commemorate their achievement.
- All meats must be prepared on site
- Meats will be judged on taste, cut, tenderness and appearance
- Samples to the crowd are encouraged
- Contestants are responsible for the removal of all ashes and debris
- Availability of electricity is limited
- No vehicles, driven, towed and any others are allowed in the cooking area
- Ice is available for purchase
2019 Grand Champions
Double J’s BARBECUE Team
First Place: Pork Swords
Second Place: Barren River BBQ
Third Place: All Smoked Up
First Place: All Sauced Up
Second Place: Double J’s BARBECUE Team
Third Place: Barren River BBQ
First Place: Lifetime Financial Growth
Second Place: TRU BLU BBQ
Third Place: Double J’s BARBECUE Team